Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Virginia Postrel on the Value of Owning Too Much - WSJ.com


A couple of weeks ago, when I was touring my grandfathers closet less old farmhouse in Red Hook, NY the owner asked me where we put all our stuff back then (in the 40's & 50's). I thought for about one nanosecond and said 'we didn't have stuff back then'. Ergo who needed closets? There was a dresser for any summer clothes we might have brought for our lengthy stay there. Anyway, I came across this article in the WSJ today and it related to that conversation. Who would have thought back then that there would be a Container Store for all our things? The consumeristic way of life is out of control, isn't it? I don't know about you, but I love to shop and when I don't have that option, it's a void! I'm working on it though.
Virginia Postrel on the Value of Owning Too Much - WSJ.com


No comments:

Post a Comment